Skip to content
Norway moves ahead with the World first ship tunnel
Two minute reads :
An engineering project billed as the world’s first ship tunnel is slated for construction in Norway.
The ships crossing the Stadhavat sea in the current times have to wait for days for the weather conditions to improve and rough tides to subside before transiting the area.
- The tunnel will run underneath the mountains in Norway’s Stadhvet peninsula.
- It will measure 1,700 metres long, 37 metres high and 26.5 metres wide when complete.
- Construction on the project is expected to begin in 2022 and be complete by 2025 or 2026.
- Norway is expected to spend over $315 million in building the ship tunnel.
- The tunnel will be able to handle ships of up to 16,000 tonnes and gives ships a safer passage through sea.
- Entry to the tunnel will be controlled by a traffic light system.
Important takeaways of Norway :
- Capital : Oslo
- Prime minister : Erna Solberg
- Currency : krone
Thanks for reading :-