Skip to content
Voting laws of Hongkong : Amendments in Voting laws
Two minute reads :
Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam has announced amendments Voting laws of Hongkong.
The government will increase the number of electoral districts from which vetted candidates can be elected to 10, with two winners from each region.
Previously, 35 seats were split between five electoral districts.
A powerful new vetting committee will monitor candidates for public office.
- ” We all want election to be very fair so any manipulation to jeopardise or sabotage the election should not be permitted ” , Ms. Lam said.
Key points of Voting laws of Hongkong :
- The amendments, detailed over 600 pages across eight ordinances.
- The amendments are meant to facilitate and complement Beijing’s move last month to overhaul Hong Kong’s electoral system by curbing democratic representation.
- ” Manipulating ” the election by advocating for blank or invalid protest votes or obstructing other people from voting will also constitute a crime, according to amendments to the elections ordinance.
- Critics fear voters would feel robbed of a choice if candidates are vetted for their loyalty to Beijing, while most opposition figures are either in Jail or in exile.
- A powerful new vetting committee will monitor candidates for public office and work with new national security authorities in Hong Kong to ensure they are loyal to Beijing.
Thanks for reading :-