Skip to content
Pregnancy bill / Medical Termination of Pregnancy Amendment bill 2021
Four minute reads :
The parliament has cleared the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Amendment Bill, 2021.
The bill was approved in the Rajya Sabha March 16, 2021.
The bill was already passed in the Lok Sabha on March 17, 2020.
Key points of this Pregnancy bill amendment 2021 :
- This amendment introduced the requirement of openion from two providers in order to terminate the pregnancy up to 20 weeks to 24 weeks.
- The bill also increases the the upper gestation limit from 20 weeks to 24 weeks for the special categories of women like survivors of rape, differently abled women, minors and victim of incest.
- The bill proposes that the upper gestation limit will not be applicable in cases of substantial foetal abnormalities if it is diagnosed by Medical board.
- The bill also proposes that the name and other such details of women whose pregnancy of women whose pregnancy has been terminated should only be revealed to the person authorised by law.
- Violation is punishable with imprisonment up to a year , a fine, or both.
- The composition functions and other details of the Medical Board will be provided under the Act.
- This is an Act which regulates the condition under a pregnancy may be aborted.
- The original Pregnancy Bill was framed in 1971.
- The bill will ensure the safety and well-being of pregnant women.
- Medical Termination of Pregnancy Amendment Bill, 2020 proposes for the opinion from one provider to terminate the pregnancy up to 20 weeks gestation.
Thanks for reading :-