Skip to content
Prima Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates oil and gas projects in Tamil Nadu
PM Modi on 17 Feb, 2021, laid the foundation stone of oil and gas sector projects in Tamil Nadu.
The event was attended by chief minister of Tamil Nadu as well as governor of state as chief guest.
The petroleum and Natural gas minister, Dharmendra Pradhan also present during inauguration.
He dedicated the Gasoline Desulphurisation unit and Ramanathapuram Thoothukudi gas pipeline to the nation.
Pm Modi also laid the foundation stone of the couvery Basin Refinery at Nagapattinam.
After the inauguration ceremony pm Modi said ;
- We are here to celebrate beginning of important oil and gas projects, not just Tamil Nadu but also entire country.
- Indian oil 143 km long natural gas pipeline from Ramnathpuram to Thoothukudi that is being launched today will monetize the gas from ONGC’s gas fields.
- This is part of a larger natural gas pipeline project being developed at a cost of Rs.45,00 crore.
- In 2019-20 India imported over 85% of oil and 53% of gas to meet domestic demand.
India planned to spend 75 lakh crores in creating oil and gas infrastructure over 5 years.
A strong emphasis has been laid on the expansion of city gas distribution network covering 470 districts.
The event also grows in stature with the rise of India, the world’s third largest energy consumer by 2030.
A gas pipe line network to achieve ‘ One Nation, One Grid ‘ is being planned.
In the past 6 years, oil and gas projects worth over ₹ 50,000 crore have been approved for implementation in Tamil Nadu by government.
In the same periods , projects worth over ₹9,100 crore sanctioned before 2014 we’re completed.
The launch of these projects will result in socio- economic benefits as well as will help in boosting the countries mission towards ‘ Urja Atmanirbharta’.
Important takeaways of Tamil Nadu for all competitive exams:
- Formation : 26 Jan,1950
- Number of districts : 38
- Governor : Banwarilal Purohit
- Chief Minister : Edappadi k. Palaniswami
Thanks for reading :-