Skip to content
NCT Delhi ( Amendment ) Act 2021 comes in to force
Two minute reads :
The National Capital Territory of Delhi ( Amendment ) Act, 2021, has come in to force.
The amendment act enhances the power of the Lieutenant Governor in the National Capital over the elected government.
The prohibitions of the Act came into effect on April 27, 2021.
The city government will now have to seek the opinion of the L – G before taking any executive action.
The bill was passed in Rajya Sabha amid the walkout from opposition parties.
Key highlights of the bill :
- The amendment Bill power to the Lieutenant Governor to make rules in matters that fall outside the purview of the elected government in Delhi.
- The bill also has provision that all the actions by the executive will be expressed to be taken in the name of LG.
- The Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi ( Amendment ) Act, 2021 was enacted by the Government of India on 28 March 2021.
- The bill gives the Discretionary powers to the LG even in matters where the Legislative Assembly of Delhi is empowered to make laws.
- It aims to define the responsibilities of the elected government and Lieutenant Governor in Delhi.
Thanks for reading :-