Skip to content
NASA Ingenuity helicopter survived the first cold night on its own — A major milestone
Two minute reads :
Ingenuity survived the first cold night on its own — A major milestone because surface temperature of planet Mars can plunge as low as – 130 degrees F ( – 90 degrees ).
- NASA’s Ingenuity helicopter, which was attached to the belly of the perserverance rover has been dropped on the surface of Mars on 4 April 2021.
- Ingenuity was dropped from the rover’s belly after travelling almost 471 million kilometres.
- Ingenuity is expected to make it’s first flight attempt no earlier than April 11, 2021.
- The NASA Ingenuity helicopter is four pound ( 1.8 – kilogram ) rotorcraft cost NASA around $ 85 million to develop.
- The American space agency aims to explore the surface of Mars with the help of an ingenuity helicopter which weight just 1.8 kgs.
Key facts of NASA Ingenuity helicopter :
- The ingenuity Mars helicopter was built by JPL, which also manages this technology demonstration projects for NASA headquarters.
- Ingenuity carries two cameras to document it’s flights, which was also be observed by the perseverance roller.
- This will perform a series of ever longer flights over the Jezero Crater in the next 31 sols ( Martian days ).
- Ingenuity will be taking high – resolution photography as it flies.
- Ingenuity is a technology demonstration that aims to be the first powered flight on another world.
- It could further expand our horizons and broaden the scope of what is possible with Mars exploration.
About Mars :
- Mars is the fourth planet to the sun and is being larger than only Mercury, also known as red planet.
- The gravity of the planet Mars, notably, is one – third of the Blue planet and the atmosphere is just 1% dense in comparison to the earth.
Important takeaways of NASA :
- Formation : July 29, 1958
- Headquarters : Washington, D. C
- Motto : ” For the benefits of all “
Thanks for reading :-