Skip to content
Lunar rover UAE : UAE to send rover ‘ Rashid ‘ to the Moon in 2022
Two minute reads :
Lunar exploration firm iSpace will transport a United Arab Emirates unmanned rover to the Moon in 2022.
The UAE had announced in Sept 2020 that it planned to launch the ” Rashid ” rover by 2024.
- The rover will be transported to the Moon on ” iSpace’s lunar lander ” during a mission in 2022.
- The UAE’s National newspaper reported that the rover will be launched in to space aboard a SpaceX rocket from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida
- iSpace will deliver the Emirates lunar mission’s ‘ Rashid ‘ rover to the Moon, provide wired communication and power during the cruise phase, and engage in wireless communication on the lunar surface.
- Rashid will have the distinction of being the smallest rover to have landed on the moon.
- The rover was named ” Rashid “, after the late Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum, the builder of modern Dubai and one of the UAE’s Founding Fathers.
Rashid will be equipped with advanced technologies including :
- A 3D Camera
- Advanced motion system
- A microscope camera
- A thermal imaging camera
This will make UAE’s fourth country in the world to land on the moon. Other three countries are :
- United States
- Former Soviet Union
Rashid lunar rover specs :
- Mass : 10 kg
- Height : 70 kg
- Length : 50 cm
- Width : 50 com
The UAE is a newcomer to the world of space exploration but is quickly making it’s mark.
Thanks for reading :-