Skip to content
First women commander in BRO ; Vaishali Hiwase to handle road project near China border
Two minute reads :
Vaishali Hiwase has made history by becoming the first woman officer commander in Border Roads Organization ( BRO ).
As per BRO, she is responsible to provide connectivity through an Indo – China border road.
- Vaishali has an M Tech degree, is from Wardha from Maharashtra.
- She is taking over the new assignment as CO after a successful stint in the Kargil sector.
About Border Road Organization :
- BRO India was formed in 1960 and has been working under Defense Ministry since 2015.
- Initially it was under the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- The primary role of BRO is to develop and maintain road networks in the North and Northeast areas near the border.
- The 8.8 km long Atal Tunnel in Himachal Pradesh at an altitude of 3,000 km is one of the biggest infrastructural achievements of BRO.
Last year, the BRO constructed key roads and tunnels in forward areas along the China border amidst the Covid – 19 pandemic.
BRO is building strategic roads in several states
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Himachal Pradesh
- Arunachal Pradesh
It plans to complete all 61 strategic roads along China border by December 2022 to allow swifter mobilisation of troops.
Thanks for reading :-